According to the laws of the Russian Federation, Russian business visa allows foreign nationals to stay in Russia not more than 90 days out of 180. Staying in Russia continuously for 1 or 3 years requires a work visa. It is extremely expensive to obtain, an alternative way to get this kind of visa would be getting employed by a Russian company.
However, there is a legal opportunity to stay on the territory of Russia continuously using a business visa. Consider applying for a second passport to the corresponding authorities of your country of residence. We will expand on this situation and answer the most frequently asked questions in this article.
How can this be done?
We would like to inform you. The procedure may vary depending on the country of residence. This is just a road map. We do not know the exact procedure the foreign nationals will be required to follow, should they choose this option.
- Initially, you hold a single passport.
- You submit it along with your visa application, for example when applying for a 3-year visa to Russia.
- You contact the Passport service in your country of residence and apply for a new passport. Your application must indicate the reason why you need a new (second) passport. For example: the current passport is at the Consulate of a foreign country, and you urgently need to issue another visa.
- You get a new passport
- With the new passport, you can apply for another visa to Russia that will be valid for 3 years.
By following this step-by-step guide, you will hold two different passports with two three-year visas stamped in them. Each passport will permit a 90-day stay in Russia. Please note that you will have to leave Russia, at least for a few hours, and then enter again presenting your other passport at the border.
Is it legal?
Yes, it is. You will not be allowed to stay on the territory of Russia continuously holding a business visa for more than 90 days. However, it is perfectly legal to depart from the country and then enter holding a different visa stamped in another passport.
There is another way to stay in Russia almost continuously throughout the year. It is slightly more expensive:
Foreign citizens can get 3-month visas to Russia every three months. This requires leaving Russia at the end of the 3-month period and apply for another visa (in the EU countries, a visa and an invitation for a 3-month visa can be obtained in 2-3 working days). Immediately after the new visa is obtained you can return to Russia. For example, many EU citizens who travel to Helsinki or Estonia for a couple of days with a business visa invitation to Russia they have already issued apply for expedited visa service at the Consulates of the Russian Federation located in these countries. By doing so, they are able to enter Russia again in just a few days holding their new business visa.
Consider these methods and choose the one that suits you best. Please email or call our customer service specialists if you have any questions.
I would like to apply for a business visa
We advise you to read this article: Business visa to Russia for a foreigner
Arranging business visa invitations to Russia for foreign nationals in the form of a letter
Apply for a business visa invitation
Frequently Asked Questions
- Tourist Visa - e.g.: tourism, sightseeing;
- Business Visa - e.g.: conferences, business negotiations;
- E-Visa - e.g.: short-term visits;
- Work Visa - e.g.: employment in a Russian company;
- Private Visa - e.g.: visiting friends in Russia (though a tourist visa is cheaper and more effecient??).
To obtain a Russian visa you need:
- Fill in our online order form and get a Visa invitation to Russia
- Refer to our Complete Step-by-Step Guide to Russian Visa Application, use your personal data and information from the Invitation to Russia