Do Latvian need Visa to Russia?
Yes, in order to apply for a Russian visa a Latvian citizen must approach Russian Consulate or Embassy while having a letter of invitation to Russia in his/her possession. It is also his/her responsibility to complete a form and pay the consular fee.
The letter must be written by a relative, friend, business partner, etc. who is a resident of the Russian Federation. The format of the invitation depends on the purpose of the visit to Russia and type of the visa.
How to Get Russian Visa from Latvia?
A special procedure must be followed. It differs based on the purpose of the journey:
- Tourist visa is intended for those who travel for tourism and wish to see sights.
- Private visa is good for visitors who would like to meet Russian friends (however, it is recommended to apply for the tourist visa instead as it is a more easy and reliable way to take a trip to Russia).
- Business visa suits the foreign applicants who are concerned in exploring business opportunities of Russia.
- Work visa is necessary for the citizens of foreign countries who seek to endeavour in career and professional development in Russian enterprises.
Where to apply for a Russian visa in Latvia?
You can obtain a visa to Russia in any of the Consulates of the Russian Federation located in Latvia. See the list of Russian Consulates in Latvia, along with their phone numbers and location indicated on this page below.
Russian visas quick comparison
|Type of Visa||Duration||Purpose|
|Tourist visa||1-30 days||Sightseeing, visiting friends in Russia|
|Business visa||30-90 days (up to 5 years)||Search of business partners, attending conferences, long trips, long-term visits of friends in Russia|
|Private visa||30-90 days||Official visits to meet with friends in Russia (Not recommended! See why)|
|Work visa||1-3 years||Employment in Russia or permanent residence|
Foreign visitors who wish to enter the Russian Federation for sightseeing purposes can submit an application for tourist visa. In order to obtain this type of visa an invitation letter must be issued by a travel agency. The company must have an unique reference number. This type of invitation to visit Russia for Latvian can be made within 1 working day.
Read more: Russian Tourist Visa
This type of invitation letter can appear in any form. However, it is necessary to have all company information indicated within the letter. Details of the tourist’s passport must also be provided. The regulations also state that the document should include the list of all cities the traveller plans to visit as well as information regarding hotel accommodations booked for his/her trip to Russia.
Russian tourist visa from Latvia is issued for a period of up to 30 days (with one or two entries allowed).
Get a Tourist Invitation to Russia from Latvia
Go to Issuing a Tourist Invitation Price €13.44
Latvian citizens who intend to see friends or relatives in Russia can apply for private visa. Those whom they are planning to visit should file an application for a guest visa invitation letter to the territorial body of the FMS, have it issued and send it by mail to the visiting party. If the host is an individual, that person should apply at the local migration authority. In case the invitation is offered by a legal entity, its representative is urged to visit the FMS office at the place of registration of that legal entity.
Find out why: Why not apply for a private visa?
Read more: Russian Private Visa
When considering the application for a letter of invitation, the FMS officers examine the foreign citizen’s possible record of unpaid fines, previous convictions and past instances of deportation. If such facts are discovered, the invitation letter application will be denied (and a reason for denial will be given).
Guest visa for citizens of Latvia may be valid for up to 90 days. The visa can be single-entry or double-entry.
Get of a Private (Visitor) Invitation to Russia for Latvian citizens
Foreign citizens who would like to come to Russia in the perspective of taking part in auctions, conducting negotiations, participating in business discussion forums, looking for business partners can apply for a business visa. In order to file the application, they need to show a letter of invitation executed in a particular way.
Read more: Russian Business Visa
The business visa invitation letter can be obtained by either of these ways:
- Russian Business Invitation Letter from organization (possible to get Online);
- Russian Invitation Letter from FMS;
- Telex Russian Invitation;
Our company recommends the citizens of the EU, the United States, Japan and China to choose the invitation letter issued by an organization, because:
- Issuing an invitation letter is cheaper than arranging an invitation by Telex or at the FMS.
- It can be issued online in 5 minutes and will be sent to you by email immediately after payment.
- Also, it is not required to submit the original invitation to the Consulate, which saves you the money you will otherwise have to spend on postal services for sending the original invitation.
- A 3-year visa invitation and visa can be obtained with this type of invitation if the applicant has previously held two or more Russian business visas.
Consider taking these three simple steps:
- Step 1: Fill out the form
- Step 2: Pay €49 by credit card or via PayPal
- Step 3: Receive your invitation on your email instantly after payment
Get your invitation letter online! Price from: €49.28
An invitation, issued on the official letterhead paper of the organization, should be made in form of a letter in which the authorized company requests that the Russian embassy grants the foreign citizen a business visa. It takes only one working day to complete this type of invitation.
A Telex invitation is essentially an order sent by MID to the Russian Embassy. If the invitation is executed in form of Telex message, the foreign citizen is expected to indicate a number received from the hosting party when submitting a business visa application to the Embassy.
If the invitation letter is completed on the official FMS information form, that means the legal entity has approached the authorized body and a check has been made in order to reveal if the foreign person has any uncleared charges, prior record of criminal conviction or orders of deportation from the Russian Federation. This type of invitation is prepared on the government-approved form.
Business visa can have a duration of up to 5 years.
Get a Russian Business Invitation from Latvia on the letterhead of an accredited company
Issuing of a Business Invitation to Russia for Latvian citizens on the FMS form
Get a Business Invitation to Russia for Latvian citizens by a Telex
In order to work legally in Russia, a Latvian citizen must obtain a work visa. A visa support letter for that type of visa can be acquired only if the citizen in question already has a work permit to work in Russia. In case that person has an official proof of identity of the Foreign Diplomatic Mission employee or any other relevant document, he/she is also eligible for obtaining an invitation letter.
Read more: Russian Work Visa
Another important point is migration registration. The organization, which is planning to employ a foreign citizen, is obligated to offer support in his/her going through his/her work visa application procedure.
It requires several steps:
- the employer must obtain a work permit for the foreign citizen to work in Russia;
- the employer must handle the process of issuing a work visa support letter (the visa will be valid for 90 days);
- upon arrival, the foreign citizen must visit the local migration authorities office to register;
- the visa must get extended for the entire period of work permit duration;
- the foreign citizen gets registered with the FMS for the whole period of his/her visa duration.
Get Work Visa to Russia for Latvian citizens
Latvian citizens may obtain Russian visa in these Consular centers of the Russian Federation:
- Embassy of the Russian Federation in Latvian Republic
- Consulate General of the Russian Federation in Daugavpils
- Consulate General of the Russian Federation in Liepaja