Do Indians need Visa to Russia?
Visa to Russia for citizens of India can be obtained in a consulate or an embassy of Russia. In order to get visa to Russia from India it is necessary to have a whole pack of documents, among which is an Invitation to Russia. A Russian Visa for citizens of India can be private, tourist, business and work – depending on the purpose of a visit.
The Invitation to Russia for the citizens of India must be issued by an inviting party. Depending on the type of a visa it can be issued by a friend or a relative, a tourist company or organization, which is accredited at the Department of Consulate Service of the Ministry for Foreign Affairs of the RF or the Federal Migration Service.
How to Get Russian Visa from India?
The requirements may vary depending on purposes of travel:
- Tourist visa is intended for those who travel for tourism and wish to see sights.
- Private visa is good for visitors who would like to meet Russian friends (however, it is recommended to apply for the tourist visa instead as it is a more easy and reliable way to take a trip to Russia).
- Business visa suits the foreign applicants who are concerned in exploring business opportunities of Russia.
- Work visa is necessary for the citizens of foreign countries who seek to endeavour in career and professional development in Russian enterprises.
Where to apply for a Russian visa in India?
You can obtain a visa to Russia in any of the Consulates of the Russian Federation located in India. See the list of Russian Consulates in India, along with their phone numbers and location indicated on this page below.
Russian visas quick comparison
|Type of Visa||Duration||Purpose|
|Tourist visa||1-30 days||Sightseeing, visiting friends in Russia|
|Business visa||30-90 days (up to 5 years)||Search of business partners, attending conferences, long trips, long-term visits of friends in Russia|
|Private visa||30-90 days||Official visits to meet with friends in Russia (Not recommended! See why)|
|Work visa||1-3 years||Employment in Russia or permanent residence|
A Tourist Visa should be applied for by the citizens of India, who are planning to visit Russia for holidays or sightseeing. The citizens of India usually have their visa for the term of their stay in the RF, which should be confirmed with such documents as air tickets purchase and hotel booking. The longest period of stay on a tourist visa for the citizens of India is 30 days.
Read more: Russian Tourist Visa
To apply for a tourist visa to Russia for Indian citizen you need tourist Invitation (Tourist Voucher). It is a tourist service agreement between a foreign citizen and a Russian travel company. This invitation is issued by a travel company which is included into the United Register of Tour Operators and has its individual reference-number. This type of invitation to visit Russia for Indian can be made within 1 working day. A tourist invitation consists of a tourist voucher and a confirmation of his/her arrival from the receiving company. Sometimes it is possible to show a copy of a tourist invitation but in some cases in certain consulates you can be required to present the original document.
Tourist Invitation is drawn up on the letterhead of a travel company so the outward appearance of such invitations can differ greatly. The Invitation should be certified with a signature of the senior manager and an appropriate stamp.
Moreover each such Invitation should have the following information:
- Name of the inviting travel company and its reference number;
- Full name of a foreign citizen and his/her passport information;
- Purpose of visit;
- Terms of visit;
- Number of entries (single or double);
- Cities, which a tourist plans to visit.
Get a Tourist Invitation to Russia from India
Go to Issuing a Tourist Invitation Price $15.00
Private (Guest) Visa to Russia is required for those foreign citizens who want to visit their relatives or friends, who live on the territory of the RF. In order to have a Private Invitation the FMS (Federal Migration Service) should receive an application from the inviting party.
Find out why: Why not apply for a private visa?
Read more: Russian Private Visa
The inviting party can be represented by a natural person (Russian or foreign citizens of age and of permanent residence in Russia, who can guarantee a financial and housing support for an Indian citizen, as well as his/her health service) or a juridical person (representative offices of foreign companies or Russian companies accredited at a department of the FMS by its location).
If a Private Invitation for a foreign citizen is registered by a natural person, he/she has to give in an appropriate application to a branch of the FMS at the place of his/her residence. If such Invitation is registered by a company it is issued at a department of the FMS at which area the company was accredited.
Terms of issuing of a private invitation differ with different departments of FMS however according to law it should not take more than 30 days from the moment when the inviting party gave in all necessary documents. After an invitation is drawn up it should be sent to an Indian citizen because he/she will have to present the original invitation in order to obtain a Private Visa.
Private Visa to Russia for a citizen of India is given for a term up to 3 months.
Get of a Private (Visitor) Invitation to Russia for Indian citizens
In case a citizen of India wants to come to Russia for business purposes, to sign an agreement or participate in an auction, etc., he/she has to apply for a Business Visa. In order to receive such visa the inviting party has to register a Business Invitation.
Read more: Russian Business Visa
Such Invitation is registered in the FMS after a juridical person which was accredited there submits an appropriate application. Business Invitation will be drawn up after the investigation on whether an applicant had any violations during his/her previous visits to Russia. If there were any such applicant will refused in a Russian visa.
The business visa invitation letter can be obtained by either of these ways:
- Russian Business Invitation Letter from organization (possible to get Online);
- Russian Invitation Letter from FMS;
- Telex Russian Invitation;
The period of consideration is 12 working days (17 calendar days) for single and double-entry invitations and 17 working days (21 calendar days) for multyentry visas valid for 180 or 365 days.
An invitation is a state approved document (issued on a form of the FMS).this document should be given to the citizen of India to present it in a consulate when applying for a visa. Business Visa for citizens of the India can be issued for a period from 1 month (30 days) to 5 years. It can be single, double-entry or multi-entry.
Please, note that according to Russian visa policy maximum stay in Russia without leave is 90 days in 180-period days.
Get a Russian Business Invitation from India on the letterhead of an accredited company
Issuing of a Business Invitation to Russia for Indian citizens on the FMS form
Get a Business Invitation to Russia for Indian citizens by a Telex
Work visa should be applied for by those foreign citizens who are planning to work in Russia under a contract or to make profit from their business activities on the territory of Russia.
Read more: Russian Work Visa
Before applying for a work visa the company-employer should receive a work permit for a foreign citizen (or other document which will allow a foreign citizen to work on the territory of the RF). First work visa is issued for a period of 90 days. After arrival of a foreign citizen on the territory of Russia in the disposing of a company- employer, it should give in a petition to a local branch of the FMS to extend his/her visa for the period of his/her work permit.
Get Work Visa to Russia for Indian citizens
Indian citizens may obtain Russian visa in these Consular centers of the Russian Federation:
Embassy of the Russian Federation in the Republic of India, Embassy Consular Section
- Address: Shantipath, Chanakyapuri, New Deli, 110021 India
- Phone: (8-10-91-11) 2611-05-60, 2467-85-64
- Fax: (8-10-91-11) 2467-85-64, 2611-05-60
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web: rusembassy.in
- Business hours: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday - from 09.00 to 14.00
Consulate General of the Russian Federation in Mumbai
- Address: 42, Jagmohandas Marg (Nepean Sea Rd), Mumbai, 400036 India
- Phone: (8-10-91-22) 2363-36-27, (8-10-91-22) 2363-36-28
- Fax: (8-10-91-22) 2363-04-03, 2363-14-93
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Web: www.russiaconsulmumbai.mid.ru
- Business hours: Consular issues: daily from 8.00 to 13.00; Visa Section: Monday, Wednesday, Friday - from 09.00 to 13.00
Consulate General of the Russian Federation in Kolkata
- Address: 22A, Raja Santosh Road, Alipore, Calcutta, 700027 India
- Phone: (8-10-91-33) 2479-70-06
- Fax: (8-10-91-33) 2479-88-89
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web: www.kolkata.mid.ru
- Business hours: From Monday to Friday - from 10.00 to 13.00
- Consulate General of the Russian Federation in Chennai