Do Japanese need Visa to Russia?
Yes, they do. In order to obtain a visa to Russia a citizen of Japan should apply to a consulate or an embassy of the Russian Federation presenting an invitation. Wherein a consular fee should be paid and an application filled in.
Such an invitation should be issued by an inviting party which is located in Russia. It can be a friend, a relative, a tourist company an employer or an organization which is interested in the arrival of a Japanese citizen to the Russian Federation. Depending on the purpose of a visit an outward appearance of an invitation would be different.
How to Get Russian Visa from Japan?
A certain procedure is required for that. It may vary depending on the purposes of the trip:
- Tourist visa is intended for those who travel for tourism and wish to see sights.
- Electronic visa - for example: short-term trips;
- Private visa is good for visitors who would like to meet Russian friends (however, it is recommended to apply for the tourist visa instead as it is a more easy and reliable way to take a trip to Russia).
- Business visa suits the foreign applicants who are concerned in exploring business opportunities of Russia.
- Work visa is necessary for the citizens of foreign countries who seek to endeavour in career and professional development in Russian enterprises.
Where to apply for a Russian visa in Japan?
You can obtain a visa to Russia in any of the Consulates of the Russian Federation located in Japan. See the list of Russian Consulates in Japan, along with their phone numbers and location indicated on this page below.
Russian visas quick comparison
|Type of Visa||Duration||Purpose|
|Tourist visa||1-30 days||Sightseeing, visiting friends in Russia|
|Business visa||30-90 days (up to 5 years)||Search of business partners, attending conferences, long trips, long-term visits of friends in Russia|
|Electronic visa||8 days||Trips for a short period of time|
|Private visa||30-90 days||Official visits to meet with friends in Russia (Not recommended! See why)|
|Work visa||1-3 years||Employment in Russia or permanent residence|
A tourist visa can be obtained by those foreign citizens who want to visit Russia to get acquainted with the historical heritage of the country. The official right to do this has any tourist company that was chosen by a citizen of Japan to assist him/her with the trip.
Read more: Russian Tourist Visa
The invitation from a tourist company must contain the company’s reference number and other essential information as well as the passport details of a citizen who applies for the invitation. This type of invitation to visit Russia for Japanese can be made within 1 working day. The outward appearance of such an invitation is optional and can be very different in different companies. In each invitation according to the rules must be the list of all the cities a tourist will visit and the places he/she is planning to stay at during his/her journey in Russia.
The invitation should also contain the exact dates of the trip as well as the number of entries to the country. A visa to Russia from Japan can be obtained maximum for 30 days and it can be single or double entry.
Get a Tourist Invitation to Russia from Japan
Go to Issuing a Tourist Invitation Price $15.00
A private (guest) visa for the citizens of Japan is applied for in case they are planning to visit their relatives or friends in Russia. For this purpose an inviting party has to apply for a guest invitation to the local department of the Federal Migration Service (the FMS). An individual should apply for an invitation at the department of the FMS at the place of residence. If an inviting party is a legal entity its representative has to apply with an application to the department of the FMS at the place of the registration of this legal entity.
Find out why: Why not apply for a private visa?
Read more: Russian Private Visa
The FMS will check whether a foreigner had any deportations, convictions or unpaid fines during his/her previous visits to Russia. In case of any law violations the invitation to obtain a private visa will not be granted (with indication of a reason for that).
A private visa to Russia can be obtained by a Japanese citizen for a period of up to 90 days. It may be single or double entry.
Get of a Private (Visitor) Invitation to Russia for Japanese citizens
A business visa is issued for those citizens of Japan who are planning to visit Russia for business purposes: it can be a search for new business partners, negotiations, signing of the agreements and participation in auctions or seminars. In order to obtain a business visa one has to present an invitation at the embassy or a consulate.
Read more: Russian Business Visa
The business visa invitation letter can be obtained by either of these ways:
- Russian Business Invitation Letter from organization (possible to get Online);
- Russian Invitation Letter from FMS;
- Telex Russian Invitation;
Maximum duration of a visa is 5 years.
The issuing of invitations to obtain a business visa should be in charge of the legal entities accredited at the Department of the Federal Migration Service (the FMS) or the Department of the Consular Service at the Ministry for Foreign Relations of the Russian Federation. Such invitations can be sent by telex, or issued on a special form of the FMS, or on the letterhead of a company which is an inviting party.
If the inviting party has issued a telex invitation it must give the invited foreigner a certain number. This number should be quoted by the citizen of Japan at the embassy of the Russian Federation when applying for a visa. A telex is a direct requirement to the embassy from the Ministry for Foreign Relations of the Russian Federation.
A special FMS form is an official state approved document. An invitation issued on this form will be obtained in case the inviting party had applied for it and provided that during the checkup there were no any convictions, deportations or unpaid fines found in the previous visits of the coming foreigner to Russia.
An invitation on the letterhead of the inviting company – a request from an accredited at the FMS company to a consulate of the RF to provide a foreigner with a visa. The issuing procedure for such an invitation takes only 1 day.
Our company recommends the citizens of the EU, the United States, Japan and China to choose the invitation letter issued by an organization, because:
- Issuing an invitation letter is cheaper than arranging an invitation by Telex or at the FMS.
- It can be issued online in 5 minutes and will be sent to you by email immediately after payment.
- Also, it is not required to submit the original invitation to the Consulate, which saves you the money you will otherwise have to spend on postal services for sending the original invitation.
- A 3-year visa invitation and visa can be obtained with this type of invitation if the applicant has previously held two or more Russian business visas.
Consider taking these three simple steps:
- Step 1: Fill out the form
- Step 2: Pay $55 USD by credit card or via PayPal
- Step 3: Receive your invitation on your email instantly after payment
Get your invitation letter online! Price from: $55.00
Get a Russian Business Invitation from Japan on the letterhead of an accredited company
Issuing of a Business Invitation to Russia for Japanese citizens on the FMS form
Get a Business Invitation to Russia for Japanese citizens by a Telex
A Japanese citizen who is going to work in the Russian Federation has to apply for a work visa. In order to obtain this visa a certain invitation is required which is issued provided that this applicant has a work permit or another document allowing him/her to work in Russia. Such document may be a special card of an employee of a foreign representative office.
Read more: Russian Work Visa
Another required condition would be the registration of a foreign citizen at the migration service. A company-employer which has invited this foreigner to work for it should assist him/her with the issuing of the invitation.
In order to work in the Russian Federation a Japanese citizen when applying for a work visa has to:
- Obtain a work permit (should be done by the employer);
- Obtain the invitation and a visa for 90 days;
- Enter the Russian Federation and be registered at the migration service;
- Extend a work visa for the period of the work permit;
- Be registered at the migration service for a whole period of a work visa.
Get Work Visa to Russia for Japanese citizens
An electronic visa (hereinafter referred to as "e-visa") is a new type of a visa document. A visa invitation to Russia is not required for obtaining an e-visa. To obtain an e-visa to Russia use our “E-visa to Russia” service.
An e-visa can be only single-entry. The permitted stay in Russia on an e-visa is up to 8 days from the date of entry within its validity period.
The validity period and/ or permitted stay on an e-visa cannot be extended. To obtain an e-visa a foreign citizen needs a digital passport photo and a completed application form containing full and valid data at the official website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation.
Read more: Electronic visa to Russia for foreigners
Apply for e-visa Cost €10.00
Japanese citizens may obtain Russian visa in these Consular centers of the Russian Federation:
The Embassy of the Russian Federation in Japan, Consular Department of the Embassy
- Address: 2-1-1, Azabudai, Minato-ku, Tokyo, Japan, 106-0041
- Phone: (8-10-81-3) 3583-44-45, 3586-04-08
- Fax: (8-10-81-3) 3586-04-07
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Web: http://www.rusconsul.jp
- Business hours: Monday, Wednesday, Thursday - from 09.30 to 12.30 and from 14.30 to 17.00, Tuesday, Friday - from 09.30 to 12.30.
The Consulate General of the Russian Federation in Niigata
- Address: Chuo-ku, 5-1 Bandaijima, Bandaijima building, Niigata, 950-0078
- Phone: (8-10-81-25) 244-60-15
- Fax: (8-10-81-25) 244-60-77
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web: http://www.niigata.mid.ru
- Business hours: from Monday to Friday - from 11.00 to 12.00 and from 14.00 to 16.30
- The Consulate General of the Russian Federation in Osaka
- The Consulate General of the Russian Federation in Sapporo
- The Consulate General of the Russian Federation in Sapporo (the department in Hakodate)