There are following types of Russian visas issued to foreigners to travel in Russia:
Regular visas may vary depending on the primary purpose of the trip indicated by the foreign citizen. The following purposes can be indicated in order to apply for a regular visa:
- tourism (learn more: Russian Tourist Visa);
- business (learn more: Russian Business Visa);
- commercial (learn more: Russian Business Visa);
- working (learn more: Russian Work Visa);
- crew member;
- accompanying family member;
- scientific and technical communication;
- cultural relations;
- sports connection.
The period for which a regular visa can be issued depends on the purpose of the trip.
Those persons who have a diplomatic passport, should apply for a diplomatic visa. Such persons include:
- the Heads of foreign states, Heads of governments, as well as members of foreign official delegations;
- consular officials, agents and employees of diplomatic missions and representations of international organizations;
- foreign diplomatic and consular couriers;
- members of their families.
In addition, diplomatic visa may be issued to an foreign person who does not have a diplomatic passport but is in possession of a diplomatic status recognized by the Russian Federation. Diplomatic visa is issued for a period of up to 3 months.
For citizens of foreign countries who have official passports a official visa shall be issued. Such persons include:
- members of official foreign delegations;
- staff of consular offices, diplomatic missions and offices of international organizations located in the Russian Federation;
- members of their families;
- members of the armed forces of foreign states who enter Russia following a decision by the public authorities of the Russian Federation or within the framework of international treaties.
Service visa valid for up to 3 months is issued to members of official delegations and employees of foreign embassies and consulates. Military personnel is entitled to visas valid for up to 1 year. Also, it is permitted to issue diplomatic visas to foreign nationals who have no service passports, but who have received an official status recognized by the Russian Federation.
Temporary resident visa is granted to a foreign national who has obtained a permit to enter Russia for temporary residence. If the foreign national was unable to enter the Russian Federation within the established deadlines, given the grounds for his getting the visa still remain, he/she may be granted another visa with a validity of 2 months on the basis of a written application.
The foreigner can renew it, if he/she obtains a permission for temporary residence in Russia in accordance with the law. Should it not be obtained by the foreign citizen due to circumstances beyond his/her control, the visa validity can be extended upon his/her application.
Read more: Work Visa for Foreigners
Foreign nationals, who plan to cross the territory of the Russian Federation, heading to another state, may apply for a transit visa. The duration of such a visa does not exceed 10 days.
Read more: Transit visa for foreign citizens