Do French need Visa to Russia?
Yes. They do. Russian Visa for French citizens can be applied for solely after receiving an invitation which should be issued and sent by an inviting party before applying for a visa. In order to obtain a visa it is necessary to come to a consulate or an embassy of the RF, where you will have to fill in a special application form, pay a consulate fee and show your invitation. In addition to an invitation you can be asked to show the confirmation of your hotel reservation, the purchase of the tickets, paid insurance.
An Invitation to Russia for French citizens is issued by a tourist company, legally authorized organization or a governmental body (depending on the purpose of the visit of a foreigner). The invitations can vary depending on the issuing body. To receive a Russian visa from France is rather simple. Let’s see what types of visas exist:
How to Get Russian Visa from France?
You will need to have certain documents in order to do it. The documents can differ depending on the purpose of your visit:
- Tourist visa is intended for those who travel for tourism and wish to see sights.
- Private visa is good for visitors who would like to meet Russian friends (however, it is recommended to apply for the tourist visa instead as it is a more easy and reliable way to take a trip to Russia).
- Electronic visa - for example: short-term trips;
- Business visa suits the foreign applicants who are concerned in exploring business opportunities of Russia.
- Work visa is necessary for the citizens of foreign countries who seek to endeavour in career and professional development in Russian enterprises.
Where to apply for a Russian visa in France?
You can obtain a visa to Russia in any of the Consulates of the Russian Federation located in France. See the list of Russian Consulates in France, along with their phone numbers and location indicated on this page below.
Russian visas quick comparison
|Type of Visa||Duration||Purpose|
|Tourist visa||1-30 days||Sightseeing, visiting friends in Russia|
|Business visa||30-90 days (up to 5 years)||Search of business partners, attending conferences, long trips, long-term visits of friends in Russia|
|Electronic visa||8 days||Trips for a short period of time|
|Private visa||30-90 days||Official visits to meet with friends in Russia (Not recommended! See why)|
|Work visa||1-3 years||Employment in Russia or permanent residence|
Those French citizens who would like to enter the Russian Federation in order to spend their holidays or to visit cultural or architectural monuments have to apply for a Tourist Visa. In order to do that you will need a Tourist Invitation, which is usually issued by a legally authorized tourist company which has its own reference-number. This type of invitation to visit Russia for French can be made within 1 working day. Such invitation will have two parts: a tourist voucher and confirmation of your visit.
Read more: Russian Tourist Visa
Every tourist company is allowed to have its own style of invitation. However, every invitation must contain the following data:
- Name of a tourist company and its reference-number;
- Passport information of a French citizen;
- Names of the hotels he/she is planning to stay in;
- Cities he/she is planning to visit;
- Terms of stay and some other information.
Tourist visa for French citizens can be single or double entry. Maximum validity of a Tourist visa is 30 days.
Get a Tourist Invitation to Russia from France
Go to Issuing a Tourist Invitation Price €13.44
Foreign citizens who would like to visit their relatives or friends in Russia have to apply for a Private visa. The invitation for a Private visa should be issued and sent by the inviting party. Such invitation will be received at the Federal Migration Service on a special form. It must contain the purpose of visit, some essential information about the foreigner (Name(s) and Surname, passport data), the information about the inviting party, validity of visa and number of entries.
Find out why: Why not apply for a private visa?
Read more: Russian Private Visa
A private invitation will be issued after receiving of an application from the inviting party as well as after the foreign tourist was checked on having any criminal convictions, unpaid penalties or deportations during his/her previous visits to Russia. One can be refused in having such invitation in case any of these will be found.
Private visa to Russia for French citizens can be obtained for a maximum period of 90 days. It can be single or double entry.
Get of a Private (Visitor) Invitation to Russia for French citizens
In order to visit Russia to expand your business, to sign agreements, to search for new business-partners or to participate in different exhibitions or conferences foreigners should apply for a Business Visa. Invitation for such visa should be issued by a legal entity which is accredited by the Department of Consulate Service at the Ministry for Foreign Relations of the Russian Federation or the Federal Migration Service.
Read more: Russian Business Visa
The business visa invitation letter can be obtained by either of these ways:
- Russian Business Invitation Letter from organization (possible to get Online);
- Russian Invitation Letter from FMS;
- Telex Russian Invitation;
Our company recommends the citizens of the EU, the United States, Japan and China to choose the invitation letter issued by an organization, because:
- Issuing an invitation letter is cheaper than arranging an invitation by Telex or at the FMS.
- It can be issued online in 5 minutes and will be sent to you by email immediately after payment.
- Also, it is not required to submit the original invitation to the Consulate, which saves you the money you will otherwise have to spend on postal services for sending the original invitation.
- A 3-year visa invitation and visa can be obtained with this type of invitation if the applicant has previously held two or more Russian business visas.
Consider taking these three simple steps:
- Step 1: Fill out the form
- Step 2: Pay €49 by credit card or via PayPal
- Step 3: Receive your invitation on your email instantly after payment
Get your invitation letter online! Price from: €49.28
Letter of Invitation – is a request to a consulate of the RF to have visa. Such request can be given in only by a company legally authorized by the FMS.
An Invitation by Telex doesn’t have any certain form. Тelex – is an order from the Department of Consulate Service at the Ministry for Foreign Relations of the RF to a consulate or an embassy of Russia. In this case a foreign citizen will be given only a number which he must give when receiving a visa at a consulate of the RF.
The FMS form – an invitation which is issued by the FMS after having received a special request from the inviting party. For single and double-entry visas such invitation is issued within 12 working days, and for multiple visas – within 17 working days. The reason for withholding of the invitation can be any criminal convictions, unpaid penalties or deportations of a foreign citizen during his/her previous visits to Russia.
Business visa for French citizens may be single, double or multiple entry. Maximum validity for a Business visa is 5 years.
Get a Russian Business Invitation from France on the letterhead of an accredited company
Issuing of a Business Invitation to Russia for French citizens on the FMS form
Get a Business Invitation to Russia for French citizens by a Telex
Those French visitors who are planning to come to Russia to work must apply for a Work Visa. Such visa can be obtained only if a foreigner has already received a work permit.
Work Visa – are certain documents, including a Work Permit and a Work Visa itself. Moreover this foreigner must be registered at the Federal Migration Service.
Read more: Russian Work Visa
In order to have a Work Visa to enter the Russian Federation it is necessary to:
- Receive a Work Permit, which will allow to work in the Russian Federation;
- Obtain a Work Visa valid for 3 months;
- Register a foreigner at the Migration Service upon his/her arrival to Russia;
- Prolong the term of the Visa for the term of 1 year (initially it was for 3 months);
- Register a foreigner at the Migration Service for the term of 1 year (for the term of the valid work permit).
Get Work Visa to Russia for French citizens
An electronic visa (hereinafter referred to as "e-visa") is a new type of a visa document. A visa invitation to Russia is not required for obtaining an e-visa. To obtain an e-visa to Russia use our “E-visa to Russia” service.
An e-visa can be only single-entry. The permitted stay in Russia on an e-visa is up to 8 days from the date of entry within its validity period.
The validity period and/ or permitted stay on an e-visa cannot be extended. To obtain an e-visa a foreign citizen needs a digital passport photo and a completed application form containing full and valid data at the official website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation.
Read more: Electronic visa to Russia for foreigners
Apply for e-visa Cost €10.00
French citizens may obtain Russian visa in these Consular centers of the Russian Federation:
- The Embassy of the Russian Federation in the French Republic, Consular Department of the Embassy
- Consulate General of the Russian Federation in Strasbourg
- Consulate General of the Russian Federation in Marseille
Frequently Asked Questions
To obtain a Russian visa you need:
- Fill in our online order form and get a Visa invitation to Russia
- Refer to our Complete Step-by-Step Guide to Russian Visa Application, use your personal data and information from the Invitation to Russia