Like a hundred years ago, the appearance of today's modern industrial Russian city of Novosibirsk, despite numerous new buildings, is largely determined by its spiritual centers - the most beautiful majestic Orthodox cathedrals and churches.
Unfortunately, the buildings of many of the first temples of Novosibirsk, especially wooden ones, have not been preserved. But they were replaced by new religious buildings. Among them is the chapel of St. Nicholas, which has become one of the most important symbols of the city.
1. Novosibirsk Chapel of St. Nicholas
The chapel of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker was erected in honor of the 300th anniversary of the House of Romanov in 1913. To perpetuate this date was the idea of the charity society "Nursery." The authorities issued a building permit that year, and the laying of the chapel took place on July 20, 1914. The building, built on donations from the faithful, was consecrated on St. Nicholas of Winter (December 6, 1914), and on October 27, 1915, the doors of the chapel were already open to parishioners.
Unfortunately to the latter, after only 15 years of its existence, it was destroyed by the Soviet authorities during the campaign for the closure of churches and repression of clergymen, held in the 1930s. Instead of the chapel of St. Nicholas the statue "Komsomolets", and later a monument I.V. Stalin, who stood there until the 50s of the last century, were installed.
The holy building was re-erected by the centenary of Novosibirsk in 1993, using preserved photographs for the revival. In 2002, they placed in it a gift from Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia Alexy II - an icon of St. Nicholas, given to them on the Day of Slavic Literature and Culture. Later, another significant event for believers happened - a piece of the relics of Nicholas the Wonderworker was placed in the icon.
Address: Red Ave, 17a
2. The Church of St. Nicholas in Novosibirsk
There is the Church of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker in Novosibirsk. It was built in 1998 on the site of a log hut, once served as a school. Today there is a Sunday school for the study of the Holy Scriptures for children and adults.
Among the most revered shrines of the temple are the icons of the Tsar-Martyr, John the Baptist, the Mother of God Kazan and Bogolyubskaya, the temple icon of St. Nicholas, the icon of the blessed Matron with a particle from its coffin, the icon of the Optinsky elders with relics, and also brought to 2002 from Athos thread from the robe of the Blessed Virgin. The Church of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker is a very good example of a modern interpretation of the forms of architecture of the XVI-XVII centuries. The brick church with an asymmetric composition, built on the basis of a pre-existing building, consists of a five-domed main volume, a single-domed northern aisle of the Regal New Martyrs (2003) and a porch with a tent bell tower.
Address: st. Zoologicheskaya 8 / A
3. Novosibirsk Cathedral of Alexander Nevsky
One of the first stone architectural structures of Novosibirsk is the Alexander Nevsky Cathedral, built in the late 19th century in the Byzantine style. Its harmonious and proportional structure resembles Petersburg churches of that period. True, the architect slightly increased the diameter of the central head of the temple and raised it over the apses surrounding it.
The appearance of the cathedral church in the name of St. Blessed Great Prince Alexander Nevsky Novonikolayevsk is obliged to the railway, on which, along with stations, bridges, and technical points, churches were built for railway workers and employees. The church in the name of St. Alexander Nevsky was built at the very beginning (on the first verst) of the Middle-Siberian section of the Great Siberian Railway Track as a temple-monument to the Tsar-peacemaker Alexander III, the inspirer and initiator of this railway. In the 30s of the last century, the West Siberian studio of newsreels was located in the building of the Alexander Nevsky Cathedral, but in 1988 it was returned to the Orthodox Church.
Address: Red Ave, 1A
Х4. The temple in honor of the icon of the Mother of God “Znamenie-Abalatskaya” in Novosibirsk
The Novosibirsk Orthodox Church, erected in honor of the Icon of the Mother of God “Znamenie -Abalatskaya”, appeared at the intersection of the Novosibirsk streets of Bogdan Khmelnitsky and Teacher's Office not so long ago. Its coverage took place in July 2000. Built according to the project of architect P.A. Chernobrovtsev, this beautiful majestic cathedral resembles samples of the best Russian churches of the XVI-XVII centuries.
It is a high four-column five-domed church with three naves. To its three facades: the north, south and west, attached on the porch, topped with a bulbous dome with massive columns. A visit to this church seems to carry it over to antiquity and allows one to experience the beauty of the Old Russian architecture.
Nowadays, a youth missionary society named after John the Russian was founded at the church in honor of the icon of the Mother of God. Also, at the temple there is a Sunday school for adults and children, as well as a church library.In 1993, an Orthodox gymnasium in the name of Saints Cyril and Methodius was opened at the church, and a kindergarten was opened not so long ago.
Address: 74, st. Bohdan Khmelnytsky
5. Novosibirsk Cathedral of the Trinity
The Cathedral of the Life-Giving Trinity, located in Novosibirsk, belongs to the Berd and Novosibirsk Diocese of the Russian Orthodox Church. Construction lasted from 1999 to 2008.
It is a cross-domed, six-column, three-headed church with six thrones. It consists of two levels. The upper church is in honor of the Holy Trinity, and the lower one is in honor of the equal to the Apostles Prince Vladimir. Up to the top of the cross, the temple reaches 60 meters in height and accommodates 1,500 people. The consecration of the church by Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia Kirill took place on August 24, 2013. On this day, the church was filled not only with the clergy, but also with secular people. Among them were the mayor of the city Gorodetsky V.F., the Governor of the Novosibirsk Region Yurchenko V.A., the Chairman of the Synodal Information Department Legoyd V.R. and many others.
Address: st. Filatova, 14A
Novosibirsk Ascension Cathedral
Construction of the church - initially wooden - was carried out in 1912-1913. Then it was located on the outskirts of the city, today it is practically the center. In 1925, a chapel, consecrated in the name of Nicholas the Wonderworker, was added to the Ascension Church. In 1937, during the period of massive persecution of religion, many clerics were arrested. At about the same time, the temple was closed and periodically used as a granary.
After the war, in 1944, the church was re-consecrated, and in 1947 a third aisle appeared, consecrated in the name of St. Seraphim of Sarov. In the 1970s, the cathedral fell into disrepair, which became especially noticeable after the opening in 1971 of a new, modern circus. From 1974 to 1979 restoration work was carried out on the Ascension Cathedral, at the same time the lower church was built. By 1988, the capital reconstruction of the cathedral was finally completed. In subsequent years, several more buildings appeared on the territory. In 2011, the paintings were partly updated, the iconostases were gilded.
Address: st. st. Sovietskaya, 91
7. Novosibirsk Church of the Intercession of the Holy Virgin
The church in the name of the Protection of the Most Holy Theotokos was consecrated on December 10, 1901. It was built on the basis of a wooden building of the prayer house, which was moved to a new place and installed on a stone foundation. In 1906, the Intercession Church was expanded - a refectory and a bell tower were attached to it, which was installed separately on wooden piles.
In the 30s, like many others, the church was closed, and its premises were given to cultural institutions. The church building was badly disfigured: the bell tower and the hip-roof drum were broken, the porch was dismantled, and the doorways were altered under the windows. At various times, this building housed the drama school, the Siberian Folk Choir and restoration workshops.
In 1994, the Pokrovskaya Church was returned to the jurisdiction of the Novosibirsk Diocese, and already in 1998, a plan was prepared for the restoration of this historic architectural monument. From 2002 to 2007, work was carried out on the reconstruction of the church building, after which it was returned to the original form.
Address: Octyabrskaya ul., 9
Church Parish of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Novosibirsk
Church the Parish of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary is a small and cozy Catholic church, nourished by the Franciscan Fathers. The temple is located in Novosibirsk in the 2nd Mira lane.
The first Catholic community in Novosibirsk appeared at the end of the XIX century. The basis of the community was Germans and Poles. In 1897, the petition of community representatives for the provision of a plot of land for the construction of a church was granted. The first wooden chapel was completed in 1914; the temple was consecrated in the name of the Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary. After the arrival of the Soviet government in 1922, the church was closed; all its valuables were seized. For some time the church building was used as a warehouse, and in 1932 it was blown up.
The Catholic parish in Novosibirsk was restored in the early 90s of the XX century. Toward the end of the 20th century, the construction of the temple began, which was repeatedly interrupted due to financial difficulties. Only by 1998 the church was completed, on August 15, 1999, the church was re-consecrated in honor of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
Address: 2nd Mira Per., 10
Trinity Cathedral in Novosibirsk
The parish in the name of Holy Equal-to-the-Apostles Prince Vladimir was organized in 1997. The first Divine Liturgy was celebrated on the day of remembrance of St. Nicholas and the Miracle-maker - December 19, 1997.
The construction of the Trinity Cathedral (the upper church of the Trinity-Vladimirsky Cathedral) began in 2001. The main construction work was taken over by the Archangel Michael Monastery, but throughout the construction period the congregation from all over Novosibirsk provided the monks with all possible assistance. In 2003, the first Divine Liturgy and a small consecration of the temple were already performed. In 2005-2006, crosses were erected on the domes.
The construction was completed in 2009 with the support of the city administration: the bells for the belfry were erected, lighting and outdoor lighting were installed, and the power grid and telephone were commissioned. In 2010, the church opened a Sunday school for children and adults, in which classes in catechism, church history, and the study of the Old and New Testaments are held. In 2009, with the blessing of His Eminence, Archbishop Tikhon, a parish meeting was held at which the Orthodox High School was founded in the name of St. Vladimir, Equal-to-the-Apostles.
Address: st. Filatova, 14A
Monastery in honor of the Holy New Martyrs of Russia in Novosibirsk
Monastery of the New Martyrs of Russia is an Orthodox male monastery of Novosibirsk. It was established on October 6, 1999 at the request of the Bishop of Novosibirsk Sergius (Sokolov). The temple in honor of the Holy New Martyrs of Russia was consecrated in 2004 by the Archbishop of Novosibirsk and Berdsky Tikhon.
It was located at the church in honor of All Saints, located in the former “Luch” cinema, on Novogodnaya Street, 24. The church in honor of All Saints was consecrated on December 31, 1993. Now the monastery owns only a temple in honor of the Holy New Martyrs of Russia, located on Nemirovich-Danchenko Street, 120/1.
Today it has twenty inhabitants. Novosibirsk Tin Plant gave its former club to the monastery. There, the monks live and pray, at the same time repairing and equipping the building of the monastery, building the temple on a hillock, conducting daily services in the building of the former cinema, in addition, every day they confess, commune, baptize everyone; consecrate houses, apartments, offices, cars; go to the house of the dying.
Address: st. Nemirovich-Danchenko, 120/1
Synagogue at the Novosibirsk Jewish Community Cultural Center
The synagogue in Novosibirsk, and formally the Jewish community cultural center “Beit Menachem”, is located in the very center of the city, next to the city hall, between the Novosibirsk Opera and Ballet Theater and the Catholic Cathedral of the Transfiguration. This is the first synagogue built in the city for 120 years.
"Beit" from Hebrew is translated as "home", Menachem - the name of the seventh Rabbi of Lubavitcher Hasidism. The opening of the center took place in 2013. The construction lasted 13 years with long breaks, mainly due to the lack of funding. The funds were donated by the Jews of Novosibirsk and those who have never been to the city, such as, for example, the Roor family from the USA.
There is a mikve (water tank for ablution). Torah lessons are held weekly. The three-storey prayer hall can accommodate 150 people. It is crowned with a roof, made in the shape of a star of David. There is a shop where you can buy kosher products, matzo, wine, grape juice.
Address: st. Schetinkin 68
Novosibirsk Cathedral Mosque
The Novosibirsk Cathedral Mosque was built in 1998 with funds donated by the parishioners, as well as with the support of the Novosibirsk regional administration.
The architecture of the mosque is a combination of the developed volume of the first two floors, the massive dome and the powerful verticals of three minarets. Classical corner setting of a round-bar minaret. New mosques are built with a minaret without an inner staircase; it is replaced by wiring from the speaker to the player, which plays the recording of azan. In the old days, the construction of the ladder inside the minaret was considered a special art.
The huge dome of the dome gives the impression of calm and grandeur from the outside and inside. The mosque has a lot of pointed windows, so the room is penetrated by light. In total, it can accommodate up to 200 people. The mosque is devoid of excessive decor, the conciseness of the design is underlined by the metal coating of the vaults. Twice a year there are great religious holidays.
Address: st. Krasin, 58
Catholic Cathedral of the Transfiguration in Novosibirsk
The Cathedral of the Transfiguration of the Lord in Novosibirsk is located in the central area of the city at a distance of comfortable walking distance to the main Lenin Square. It refers to the Transfiguration Diocese of the Roman Catholic Church. It was built in 1992-1997.
Before the revolutionary events in Novonikolayevsk, as Novosibirsk was formerly called, the Catholic community numbered 4 thousand parishioners. Instead of the prayer house, built entirely on donations, in 1905 began to build a stone building. The new church was consecrated in honor of St. Casimir. After the revolution and during the years of active persecution of religion in the 1930s, the temple was closed, and in the 1960s it was completely destroyed. At the site of the church grew TsUM.
The members of the Catholic community gathered at first secretly where necessary, and then in the 1980s on the outskirts of the city built a small Catholic Church of the Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary, which is still in effect and is located on the left bank of the Ob River at the 2nd Mira lane, 10. Having put a lot effort and trampled the offices of officials, the rector of the parish, Father Saulius, obtained permission to build the Catholic Church in the center of Novosibirsk..
The appearance of the Cathedral of the Transfiguration of the Lord has the features of Western European Romanesque and Gothic architecture.
Address: st. Maxim Gorky, 100
The temple in the name of the holy tsar the passion-bearer Nicholas in Novosibirsk
In 2002, Vladyka Tikhon blessed the creation of a parish in the name of the holy tzar the passion-bearer Nicholas. A place was chosen for the construction of the temple at the intersection of Voininskaya and Nikitin streets - the former cemetery. On April 16, 2003, a prayer service was served at the site of the future church in front of the miraculous myrrh-streaming icon of Tsar Nicholas. In 2006, Vladyka Tikhon consecrated the foundation stone on the site of the future church. During this year, a temporary temple was being built with donations from the parishioners.
In 2014, Vladyka Tikhon, the Metropolitan of Novosibirsk and Berdsk, consecrated a foundation stone at the site of the future church in the name of the holy passion-bearer Tsar Nicholas. Construction work began. Currently, the temple is fully prepared and invites parishioners.
The parish is active. There is a Sunday school for adults and a children's Sunday St. Alekseevskaya school. Since 2011, the parish in the name of the holy Tsar of the martyr Nicholas II spiritually nourishes the maternity hospital No. 4, where every working day from 11:00 to 15:00 a chapel in the name of the Theodore Icon of the Mother of God is open. The parish provides assistance to the poor. Anyone in need can get children's, women's, and men's clothing, toys, textbooks.
Address: st. Nikitina, 105/1
Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin in Novosibirsk
In 1925, a wooden church was built in honor of the Assumption of the Most Holy Theotokos at the city cemetery. The church accommodated up to 400 people. Orthodox buried in the church fence. By 1941, only one active church remained in the territory of Novosibirsk and the region - the Assumption Church at the new city cemetery.
During the Great Patriotic War, the temple served as a cathedral and was the only one operating in the city. The priests of the temple collected numerous donations for the needs of the front. Orthodox residents of Novosibirsk donated thousands of rubles for the manufacture of the Siberian squadron "For the Motherland". There were also donations for the production of a tank column.
The city authorities decided to demolish the church in honor of the Assumption of the Mother of God and liquidate the cemetery located in the city limits. One of the fall nights of 1962, despite the protests of the parishioners, the church was pulled down by soldiers and volunteers from the people. In its place later a DC "Builder"was built. Before the destruction of the temple, the ashes of Vladyka Nikifor were secretly reburied to the Zaeltsovskoye cemetery at night.
Bishop of Novosibirsk and Berdsk, Vladyka Tikhon blessed the construction of the Assumption Church to the parish in the name of the holy martyr Boniface. The parish in the name of the holy martyr Boniface was organized by the Orthodox of Dzerzhinsky district in 1992. The parish did not have its own premises. In February 1995, construction began on the Assumption Church.
Address: st. Gogol, 179
Church in the name of Archangel Michael in Novosibirsk
The temple in the name of the Archangel Michael is one of the most beautiful temples of Novosibirsk. It was founded in 1996, and built in 1999-2003, in memory of the previously existing Church of the Archangel Michael in the village of Nizhnye Chemy - now the outskirts of Novosibirsk.
The old church was built in 1914, then closed in 1937 by local authorities, and in 1953 it was dismantled to build a dam at this place. In 1993, land was allotted for the construction of a new temple in Novosibirsk
The temple of the Archangel Michael is built in Russian brick style, the exterior is white. It consists of a main octagonal volume, completed by the head, surrounded by galleries, with a bell tower under a bulbous dome. The church belongs to the Archangel Michael parish, there are many shrines here - several honored icons of the Mother of God, Archangel Michael, St. Panteleimon, the relics of Innokentiy Rikutsky, as well as a Sunday school. Next to the temple built a monastery. Tours and whole buses with pilgrims, school trips, and local weddings constantly come here.
Address: st. Bolshevistskaya 229
Church of All Saints of the Russian land shone in Novosibirsk
On December 15, 1989, the parish of all the saints in the land of Russia who shone forth was founded, and in 1992 a wooden building of the church was built, in which they began to conduct training courses for sisters of mercy. On May 14, 1991, the Most Holy Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia Alexy II visited the Church of All Saints in the Land of the Russian Saints during his first visit to Novosibirsk. His Holiness the Patriarch blessed the plans and undertakings of the new parish in the field of spiritual, educational, and social and charitable service.
In 1992, the parish established an Orthodox gymnasium in the name of St. Sergius of Radonezh. The gymnasium includes an Orthodox kindergarten and a choral school. Since 1995, the gymnasium has a state license for publishing; it produces educational and methodical literature for general education schools, gymnasiums and lyceums, as well as church history publications. In 1993, the parish created a sisterhood in the name of Martyr Elizabeth; under whose auspices a house of mercy was built at the church (lighting of the foundation stone took place in 2003).
The Church of All Saints in the Land of the Russian in Novosibirsk is also closely interconnected with such medical institutions as the Central Clinical Hospital of the Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences, the Institute of Blood Circulation Pathology, the Medical Unit no. 168 and the Institute of Clinical and Experimental Medicine of the Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Medical Sciences.
Address: st. Tereshkova, 31
The temple in honor of the icon of the Mother of God " Soothe my sorrows" in Novosibirsk
The church in honor of the icon of the Mother of God " Soothe my sorrows" is located in Novosibirsk. The church was built in 1998. On the outskirts of Novosibirsk, near Kleshchikha station, Kleshchinskoe cemetery lurked. In 1997, the blessing of the Archbishop of the Novosibirsk Diocese of Vladyka Sergius decided to start building an Orthodox church near this cemetery.
In the summer of the same year, prior to the commencement of construction, Archpriest Pavel (Patrin) consecrated a foundation stone. The author of the project of the temple was the Novosibirsk architect Peter Chernobrovtsev. The temple was designed in the style of Moscow-Yaroslavl architecture of the XVII century. The church turned out to be beautiful and elegant due to the white tracery finish on the brick facade. The elements of stucco decoration are very carefully worked out. The interior of the hall where the iconostasis is located is also very rich.
They called the temple in honor of the icon of the Mother of God, "Soothe my sorrows."
Icons for the church were brought from the Danilov Monastery, and the icon “Quench my grief” was donated by Vladyka Sergius. By the way, this icon was written by the mother of Vladyka Sergiy N.N. Sokolova. The rector of the parish in the fall of 1999 was Priest Vladislav (Vagin). There is an adult and children's Sunday school at the church.
Address: st. Khilokskaya 10/1
Church in the name of Michael the Archangel in Novosibirsk
The church in the name of Michael the Archangel is located in the building of the former House of Culture “Zarya”, in Novosibirsk, along Bolshevistskaya Street. The parish was registered in 1994, and earlier the church was located on the outskirts of the city, up to 1925. In the Soviet period, the church was turned into a warehouse, and then into a club, which was eventually demolished. Thanks to the efforts of believers, the city received a new abbot and a building for the arrangement of the church.
After two years, the temple was repaired and equipped. As it should be, a porch appeared in the temple, the middle part of the temple, the pulpit, iconostasis and the holy of holies - the altar. Above the roof, they placed a dome of heavenly color with an Orthodox cross. The church was consecrated by the archpriest temple of the city of Novosibirsk, Archpriest Pavel Patrin. Now in the temple every day held worship.
The parish performs missionary activities in the penal system, in military units, and also takes care of the disabled. At the temple there is a Sunday school, a school of bell-ringers.
Address: Bolshevistskaya Street, 229
Church of St. Euphrosyne of Polotsk Novosibirsk Diocese of the Russian Orthodox Church in Novosibirsk
Parish in the name of St. prp. Euphrosyne of Polotsk was originated in 2000. A small wooden church - the first phase of the temple complex, was built in 2002 for 6 months by the forces of the parishioners themselves. In 2008, the building of the Parish Cultural and Educational Center was built. Since 2012, the construction of a large church in the name of the Savior of the Hand-made Image, the church-monument of the Siberian pioneers.
Address: Lazurnaya st., 26
Cathedral of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin in Novosibirsk
The construction of a new settlement attracted people from different social strata. For the Old Believers persecuted by the royal authorities, the new settlement on the railway under construction in distant Siberia is undoubtedly a very attractive place. Here, far from the secular and synod authorities, one could hope for less tight control, for natural indulgences, which are always in places where large numbers of people gather. The first settlers, the Old Believers came from the peasants of the surrounding villages and villages of the Tomsk province and the Altai district. They took seasonal contracts for earthworks, carpentry and stone work, which gave additional income, especially in late autumn and winter. Gradually, some of them settled in the village for permanent habitation. With an increase in the volume of construction work, the creation of a railway economy and the rapid growth of the settlement, Old Believers from other social groups come here: burghers, merchants, employees of various departments.
The Old Believer community in Novikolayevsk (the former name of Novosibirsk) was registered in 1908. At the beginning of the 1930s, it was liquidated and restored only in 1946, when services were held in specially adapted houses.
The construction of a new large brick five-domed church with a hipped bell tower was begun in 1990 and lasted for nine years. The construction of the temple was financed by city enterprises and Old Believer communities of Siberia. Today the cathedral is active and belongs to the Russian Orthodox Old Believers Church.
Address: Baidukova, 1