Ulan Bator is the capital of Mongolia, an ancient state located in Central Asia. The city was built in the spacious valley of the river Tola, at the foot of Mount Bogd Ula, which has the sacred status for the Mongols.
Today, Ulaanbaatar is the political and commercial center of Mongolia, as well as an important segment of the Asian financial market. This is the scientific and cultural center of the country. There are the National Academy of Sciences of Mongolia, the Mongolian International University, the Zanabadzar Buddhist University, theaters, museums.
At the same time, Ulan Bator remains an incredibly original city. Its appearance is determined by ancestral customs, religious traditions and rapidly developing capitalism, which in Mongolia, contrary to the canonical tenets of Karl Marx, replaced not the feudal society, but the socialist one.
The square of labor in Ulan Bator
Independence Square on the territory of the capital district Chingeltey in Ulaanbaatar
Previously known as Freedom Square, at the initiative of the mayor of the capital, it is renamed Independence Square. On the new square, a monument of independence is built - a monument on which symbols of independence of the country will be installed: Nine white bunches, fire, sun and moon. It will be made of material glowing in the dark.
Two fountains will also be built, and LED lighting will be used for lighting. The monument was completed at the end of 2010.
The square of Genghis Khan in Ulan Bator
Genghis Khan Square (until 2013 - Sukhe Bator Square) is the central square of the capital of Mongolia, the city of Ulaanbaatar.
By the beginning of the 20th century, Ikh-Chulu, the main square of Urga (the old name of Ulan Bator) was a large open space in the center of the city, located to the south of Zuun Khuree Monastery, destroyed during religious repression in 1939. Around the square there were Buddhist temples, houses of city nobility and rich merchants. Believers gathered here to worship the Bogd Gegen, there were magnificent religious and state ceremonies.
After the victory of the Mongolian Popular Revolution, the square became the site of military parades, demonstrations, popular assemblies and rallies. In 1924, the Ikh-Chulu Square was named after the commander-in-chief of the Mongolian People’s Army Damdin Suhe-Bator and became officially known as the Sukhe-Bator Square.
After the death of Mongolian political leader Khorloghiin Choibalsan in 1952, the mausoleum of Sukhe-Bator and Choibalsan was erected in front of the Government Palace, dismantled in 2005. Along the perimeter of the square, in addition to the Government Palace, are the Golomt Bank, the Central Post Office, the Palace of Culture, the city administration building, the Lenin Club, the Opera and Ballet Theater, the Mongolian Stock Exchange Building, hotels, shops and office centers.
After the victory of the democratic revolution, the square became a platform for folk festivals, concerts, exhibitions, fairs and one of the most popular holiday destinations for residents and guests of Ulan Bator.
In July 2013, the Sukhe-Bator Square was renamed the Genghis Khan Square.